There is something warm and comforting about tomato and basil soup and of course, the two main ingredients complement each other perfectly. This is a particularly easy recipe to make and is perfectly served with a thick slice of warmed bread.
- 2 large (780g) cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (45g) chicken broth
- 20 fresh basil leaves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teacup whipping cream
- 1/2 teacup butter
- Salt and pepper
- .Pour the tomatoes and chicken broth into a large saucepan. Stir the mixture well and slowly bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat so that the mixture is gently simmering. Simmer for ten minutes. Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the sugar and fresh basil and cook gently for a further two minutes, stirring continuously.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the cream and butter. Stir until the butter has melted.
- Serve in warmed bowls, with the soup garnished with a swirl of cream and a couple of small basil leaves..
* To ‘ring the changes’ grate Parmesan or Mozzarella over the top of each bowl of soup.