Lumpiang Sariwa, also known as Fresh Spring Roll, is a Filipino vegetable dish made up of various vegetables wrapped in a soft wrapper and topped with sweet sauce and crushed peanuts. Here is a recipe to prepare it!
For the filling
- 2 cups of sweet potato (cube)
- 2 tbsp of fish sauce or patis
- 1 lb of cabbage (shredded)
- 1 ½ cup of carrots (julienned)
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup of peanuts (crushed)
- 6 pieces of lettuce leaves
- ½ lb of pork (thinly sliced)
- 1 pack of extra firm tofu (sliced in strips)
- 1 cup of shrimp (shelled and deveined)
- 2 cups of Baguio string beans (chopped)
- 1 medium-sized onion (chopped)
- ½ cup of cilantro (chopped)
- 3 tbsp of garlic (minced)
- 1 piece of pork bouillon cube
For the wrapper
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 pieces of raw eggs
- 2 tbsp of cooking oil
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1½ cups of milk
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 2 cups of water
- ½ pork bouillon cube
- 1 tbsp of garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp of corn starch diluted in 4 tbsp of water
Recipe & Preparation
- Heat a pan to cook the filling. Sauté the garlic and onions in the cooking oil. Cook the pork until it turns a light brown color. Place the pork cubes in the pan and then add 1/2 cup water. Simmer until the pork is tender. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the shrimp and sweet potatoes are tender.
- Cook for a few minutes after adding the tofu. Mix in the cilantro, carrots, and string beans after the other ingredients have been added. Cook for 5 minutes after adding the cabbage. Mix in the fish sauce. Place aside.
- Crack the eggs in a mixing bowl to make the wrapper. Beaten. While beating, add the milk. Mix in the salt and all-purpose flour thoroughly. Mix in the vegetable oil thoroughly.
- Set the stove to medium heat and place the nonstick pan on top. Grease the pan with butter or spray it with oil. Pour in the wrapper mixture (roughly half a cup) and tilt the pan to evenly distribute the liquid. Cook until the top of the mixture is completely dry (about 2 minutes). Remove the cooked mixture with a spatula and place it on a flat plate. Place aside.
- Pour water into a saucepan to make the sauce. Bring the water to a boil. Combine the brown sugar and pork cubes in a mixing bowl. Then merge the salt and soy sauce in a mixing bowl. Pour the cornstarch into the saucepan after diluting it with water. Cook until the sauce thickens. Place aside.
- For wrapping, place the wrapper on a plate, followed by a lettuce leaf in the middle of the top of the wrapper. Spoon the filling into the center of the wrapper (over the lettuce leaf). Fold the lower part of the wrapper first, then roll the sides until the filling is sealed.
- Garnish it with crushed peanuts and minced garlic after pouring the sauce over the Lumpiang Sariwa. Serve and enjoy!